Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Its a Flash Flood Adventure

Who would you have a flash flood with?
I guess my answer is my roommates...

For the 4th of July we headed to Inkom, Idaho, the hometown of my roommate Kari. It started raining Saturday and I was excited because I love that sound. Then it started to hail like none other and I was a little thrown off with how loud it was against the windows and roof. After about 2.5 hours I looked out the window to see that the little stream that meandered under their bridge had become a 'raging river of death' - to the bridge. We hustled down there and watched the bridge collapse. It was ridiculous.

Sunday they canceled church and asked everyone to help clean up after the storm. One of the homes in the ward had water and mud fill their basement so completely that there was only about 6 inches from the water level to the roof in the basement. How crazy! We spent 6 hours helping clean up - hauling ruined belongings out of the basement door, lifting buckets of mud, insulation and plywood, their food storage and Christmas decorations. I can't believe so much stuff came out of there.

So it wasn't quite the weekend we were planning on having, but it was a good experience none the less. I've never seen anything like it!

In order to get out we drove our cars through a field to their neighbor's bridge.





1 comments:

Unknown said...

Omigoodness! Haha, I can see them much better on here. Psychedelic!