Thursday, August 5, 2010

The Best Things in Life


M. LYNN & CINDY CHENEY FAMILY
JULY 2010

Bryce, Teddy, Stuart, Lance.
Alyssa, Lorelei, Marinda, Jonathan, Caidin, Candace, Joseph, Mandy.
Janelle, Kaia, Dad, Jeremy, Mom, Ashley.

Vacation was not really quite as relaxing as I believed it would be. In fact, I do believe I need a vacation from my vacation. I can’t complain too much. After all, it was a paid vacation AND I got to spend it with my wonderful family. But it definitely started off eventfully!

PART I

F.O.R.D. - FOUND ON ROAD DEAD...OR BURNED

As I was headed to the camp where my family was holding the large Marion and Alice Cheney Reunion, I received a phone call from Alyssa that went much like this, “Ummm… Just so you know: Everyone is safe, but mom and dad’s car caught on fire.” Excuse me? Say that again, would you? CAUGHT ON FIRE?! Here is the story: My family was hauling the tent trailer with the 1994 Ford Taurus SHO. First mistake? Some say so, but its not the first time he's hauled things with that car. They were headed up the last stretch of the unpaved, steep road to camp when the car started slipping. Then my family heard a 'pop'. My dad got the car into park with the emergency brake and got out to look under the hood at all the steam. By the time he made it to the front of the car, flames were beginning to lick up the sides of the hood. Within 5 minutes, my family had the car empty, the trailer unhitched, and the car was completely engulfed in flames. We are so lucky to have my family safe!

The Rear of the SHO. The springs are completely melted together
What Remains
The interior shell

PART II

CHENEY CHALLENGES


But despite being behind schedule, and starting the reunion off hectic, we jumped right into the rest of reunion. Mom introduced "Cheney Challenges". New popular games that mom got ideas for from Aunt Deanne and Bryce. They were very entertaining and I hope its a tradition that we do in our "Lynn and Cindy Cheney Reunions".

The Elevator: Dad and his M&Ms

Caidin and I try out our luck.
I lost my M&Ms within 8 inches from the ground.
You try pulling up two pencils with yarn over your ears!
The Oreo
Get this from your forehead into your mouth.
WITHOUT USING YOUR HANDS.
Good luck Ashley. Its a good thing you have three coaches. And Bryce is a veteran.

PART III PEACE & SERENITY FOUND IN NATURE

I find that some of the most relaxing moments in my life is when I'm either with family, or out in nature hiking. You know what that means when you put the two together? You're bound to have a good time.

Unless you see these two smoochin' all the time...

Our short little jaunt up the hill. Not really a 'hike'.
More like a sightseeing rendez-vous with the 'hill'.
THIS however, was a hike. Complete with Marinda's inhaler, Mandy's nose bleed, Dad's knee and Teddy running out of water. Lance and I? Perfect condition. Ha ha. I'm thankful for all those butt and thigh workouts Tasha and I did. They sure helped me climb that 1,300 foot elevation gain. Ahh I love hiking! And it was just the right length. About 8 miles. It took us longer than it probably should have, but I can attribute some of that to my picture taking.

Being out in nature makes me so happy. Being outside just doesn't cut it. To truly be peaceful and meaningful for more than a tan it has to be out of the buzz of the city. I love the mountains, the hills, the trees, the grass, the dead brush, the rocks, the dirt, having to 'rough it', clear water rushing over smoothed pebbles, moss, stars, sun, moon, clouds, light, darkness, open air, open sky, open eyes.

Lake Yellowbelly, Sawtooth Mountains
Lance, Mandy, Teddy, Marinda, Janelle, Dad


PART IV
THE BEST THINGS IN LIFE

I do believe that family is one of the most important things in my life. Where would I be without my parents? My brothers? My sisters? They have been such supporting people, even when I'm in the 'depths' of my sorrows, or struggling with choices. They bring light and laughter to my life. I looked forward to this family reunion for so long! I wish things could have gone smoother, but I guess that's what family is about! Rolling with the punches. There is nothing better than to love and be loved.

Janelle, Kaia, Candace, Joseph

Ashley
Redfish Lake, Sawtooth Mountains

Lorelei, Marinda, Alyssa, Janelle, Kaia
Oakley, Idaho
Lorelei

The last night. We spent some of it making goofy faces like crazy. Caidin and I particularly. Thanks Teddy, for being a goof like the rest of us.
Candace, Caidin, Teddy, Janelle

The best things in life don't have price tags.

FAITH

TRUST
CHARITY
EXAMPLES
COMPANIONSHIP
KINDNESS

FRIENDSHIP

LOVE


FAMILY

1 comments:

kevandcan said...

Great post and pictures. Thanks!