Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Epiphany #1 - Wrong Major?

Today was eventful for me. I guess. I have been thinking about my life a bit lately. Probably a good thing to do. While at Lance's wedding my aunt Mary asked how school was, and I realized I really didn't enjoy learning what was being taught in my classes, I had no desire to learn it. I wasn't even interested. What a waste of time! She mentioned "Well, maybe you're in the wrong major. thats something to really think about, because it can be what you end up doing the rest of your life."

I had many epiphanies, one of which was that I need to change my major. Scary? Yes! I don't know what I want to change it to, all I know is that I'm not happy studying Business Management. Lots of people have said, "Oh yeah, I can see you doing that." And I did too, for awhile. I still want to own a Bed and Breakfast, and work in hotel management (as far as I know) but I just want to be in the creative side of it, I don't want to do all the bookkeeping/ financial stuff. Business Law and Accounting this semester has proven that to me. I'm definitely not that kind of a girl.

Now comes the trouble. I've already been in school, so I don't want to do a bunch of it over! But I know in the end, I'll be happier if I decide to do something else. But I can't decide what it is. I need to do some more research in this area. I thought briefly about Family/Marriage studies, but I don't know what I could do with that, besides MORE education and then counsel people. Which I don't want to do... the other things I was thinking was Photography, which was my first choice coming to college. And one other one I'm contemplating so far is Interior Design.

Other choices are dropping out of a 4 year school and going to a hospitality school, or some other trade school, or cosmetology. I'm not sure that would make my parents incredibly happy...

I really like photography and makeup, so really, I would love to do makeup for a photoshoot or something, or makeup for theater productions or such. Hmm.
I have a lot to think about!

1 comments:

Unknown said...

If you really want to manage a small business like a bed and breakfast then you'll have to deal with accounting and business law... pushing through some of that now will be useful alter on.

But that doesn't mean that should be your major! There's a lot more to to a successful business than that. How will your bed and breakfast distinguish itself? Maybe your creative talents will help you create a unique experience for your guests, so maybe design or art will be more useful than 4 years of business minutiae.

Have you had a job working in hospitality?