Thursday, February 12, 2009

Rings, Rings, Rings!

For enrichment, our Bishop invited us out to his store to try on rings after hours. It was awesome! We got to try on any engagement ring we wanted and could take pictures/ ask questions.

I didn't realize how expensive wedding rings are! Did you know that one average, a wedding ring will cost 2 months salary for the average person? (College kids its more than that cause they are stinking poor!)
I had a few favorites tonight. I always thought I wanted a small simple ring, but I realized that my hands are not very feminine looking (could be worse) so I like the bulkier...

This first one I fell in love with, despite how large it is. I love the intricate design on the sides and this picture is absolutely breath-taking. But the ring itself (no diamond included) was about $2,300...



This second one ended up being my favorite (and it is less expensive). I really like the simpler design and that it lets you focus on one stone instead of a gazillion. This picture doesn't show the ring as beautifully as the last, but its gorgeous...

1 comments:

tedder said...

oh boy.

Here's the deal- the diamond industry is a monopoly. Through clever advertising, they've created the "two months" rule. The idea that you should spend that much only exists because they say that's how much someone should spend.

There's a reason Tamara and I don't wear rings- the whole industry is pretty evil. "blood diamonds" is only the tip of the iceberg on what DeBeers has done over the years. It's interesting to watch their advertising change to match what size diamonds they have handy (3-diamond rings, for instance), and to capture new markets (right hand ring, for instance).

As far as marketing is concerned, they are brilliant. They've managed to take something that is somewhat ubiquitous and worthless, and make people pay a LOT of money for it, but also keep the used and "lab" markets from developing.